And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
Thankfully, God's word provide us seven keys for the wise in heart that empower us to recognize the demonic logic behind his soul traps. But first, let's lay a foundation.
The Greek word translated "snare" (Strongs g3803) means a trap, a trick or stratagem; a snare. Or you could say, the devil sets strategic traps.
Apostolic Warfare Wisdom
Paul, the apostle, wrote the books to Timothy and the Corinthians. In 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 he says, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled."
In my book "Structures & Strategies" on page 45 I share the real meanings of the English words translated war and warfare. It refers to a strategic function and an apostolic gift. God made the apostle for strategy. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 reveals that the battle ground is the mind so what you think is really important. Why? Proverbs 23:7 reveals that as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
What we think impacts what we believe, say and do. Hebrews 4:12, 11:3 and Proverbs 18:21 reveal how powerful our words are. Life, death and creation are in the power of the tongue. Used well, it can frame our world (Hebrews 11:3) or the unruly tongue can set the world on fire by hell (James 3:1-6).
Don't Be Ignorant of the Enemies Devices
I've highlighted the word thought in 2 Corinthians 10:5 above because it's the same word translated devices in 2 Corinthians 2:11 which says, "lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices." His devices are like the IED's (improvised explosive devices) used by Islamic terrorists today.
Strongs Concordance says g3540 means a perception, i.e. purpose, or (by implication) the intellect, disposition, itself: — device, mind, thought.
Satan's End-time Strategy is to Deceive through Doctrines of Demons
A doctrine present a system of thoughts and ideas. A belief system can be built such that it can become a stronghold. A stronghold of thought can be changed from good to evil or from evil to good. Hence, Satan's propensity to use lies and deception to entrap the unwise. Paul the apostle warns in 1 Timothy 4:1-2, " Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron..."
The only antidote for his poisoned belief system is a vaccine regimen of truth drawn from God's word. This truth should be self administered and when necessary you can consult a teacher of God's word; a doctor of theology.
The Greek word translated doctrine means instruction, doctrine, learning or teaching. That in itself helps us understand why Satan has targeted the Education mountain. Why in America many college campuses, secular and religious, have become the bully pulpit for his ministers and false prophets.
Strongs g1140 says the word translated "demon" literally means devil god. It's an evil spirit, a messenger or minister of the devil.
In "Jesus was manifested to destroy the works of the devil... but how?" it says; "The Strong's Concordance says, devil (gk 1228), diablos, is translated as Satan, false accuser, devil and slanderer. It's also a metaphor for the prince of demons the author of evil."
The modus operandi of the devil is marked by false accusations, slander and he writes and creates evil stratagems. Demons deceive. Deceiving spirits refer to spirits that pose as an impostor and who misleads or seduces.
So it should come as no surprise that the "author of evil" would develop doctrines or systems of teaching to impact the thoughts of men and women. Why? Because our beliefs impact what we say. In my article "Are Your Words Empowering Angels or the Demonic" I describe why our words are so very important because even a Christian through ignorance or by being deceived can empower the demonic by what we say and do.
Wisdom Regarding Deception
The best lies and deceit include copious amounts of truth. If we liken our morals to a compass you'd understand how the magnetism of the earth can impact a compass. It's called deviation. Years ago I was a pilot and I learned a general rule. For every 60 miles I travel a one degree navigation error causes me to miss my destination by one mile. So in a 600 mile journey I'd miss the mark by 10 miles.
It only takes a little deception to put you really off course. The further and longer you go without making a course correction the more you'll miss your intended destination.
Our Moral Compass is to be Corrected by Truth
The magnetism and attraction of earthly pleasures introduces deviation to our moral compass. The Word of God is the tool we should consult for True North. Its what we use to re-calibrate our moral compass which we use to determine the direction for our lives.
Recognize Satan will pull out all of the stops to deceive. He's an expert at using manipulation, guilt, lust, greed and emotions to manipulate. Always remember, the best lies, the best deceit includes lots of truth.
Copious amounts of truth make it more difficult to spot the lie in a belief system. Satan and his demons utilize this tactic to trick, ensnare and seduce even those who consider themselves Christian.
Keys to Avoid Being Fooled by a Doctrine of a Demon
- Know God's word! Read it daily and study it regularly. 2 Timothy 2:15
- No matter what the issue or the emotions experienced apply the filter of God's word; the Truth. John 8:31-32 - ... and you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free. Remember, Satan is a murder and the father of lies. John 8:39-44.
- People are fallible. Trust in God first and foremost. Psalm 118:8 - It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man.
- There are two sides to each story. Proverbs 18:17 - The first one to plead his cause seems right, Until his neighbor comes and examines him.
- Be a spiritual man or woman who judges words and actions. 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
- Use fruit and character to discern who and what's behind the issue and discover false prophets. It's a great indicator of motive. See Matthew 7:15-20 & the fruit of the flesh and the fruit of the spirit shared in Galatians 5:16-25
- The works of Satan and his demonic hordes are lies, lying signs, deceit, murder, stealing, destruction and lawlessness. John 8:31-44, 2 Thessalonians 2:7-9 and John 10:10.
Examples of Modern Day Doctrines of Demons
Many who Attend Evangelical Churches Now Believe there are Many Ways to Heaven
- God's word says there is only one way and that is through Jesus Christ - John 14:6, 1 John 5:20 & Hebrews 10:19-20
The Pope said "“Money is the devil’s dung,” in Good Christians Don't Judge Others
- The truth is slightly different and it makes a huge impact on how money is approached personally and through government systems. 1 Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil..." Money like a gun, is neither inherently bad or good. It's use is dependent upon the motive and action of the holder. It's the love of money that's the problem. The love of money, greed, can cause the holder of the money or the gun to mis-use that object and hurt others for selfish gain. God wants the godly person to prosper and acquire wealth in order to establish His covenant (Deuteronomy 8:18 and 3 John 2).
- I marvel at how many unbelievers preach Matthew 7:1 about "judge not, lest you be judged." If you followed the sermon and flow Jesus was presenting, such as don't pray as the hypocrite, don't fast as the hypocrite, you'd understand He implies, don't judge as the hypocrite. Why in verses 15-20 Jesus describes how to judge or decide it a person is a false prophet or not. Acts 10:42 reveals that God will judge mankind while 1 Corinthians 2:15 teaches us that a spiritual person judges all things (words and actions).
Abortion & Planned Parenthood
- Huffington Post - When people of faith speak up for reproductive justice, compassion becomes the order of the day. Why These Religious Leaders are Standing With Planned Parenthood!
- One of the favorite lines of deceit is, "its my body and I will do with it what I want?" Click for It's my Body and How to Respond to the Pro-choice Argument. The article is influenced by truth in that it acknowledges that the baby has a body too. It's actually two bodies and the truth is abortion is a means to avoid the responsibility that is produced for a moment of pleasure that was designed to be enjoyed in the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman. Leviticus 18 describes the shedding of innocent blood and the sacrifice of children to Molech as an "abomination." Leviticus 20 and Deuteronomy 28 also share the consequences that come upon a nation who sheds innocent blood. Abominations destroy societies. Deuteronomy 30:19 tells us to choose life.
- Planned Parenthood is deceptive. This organization is like a false prophet spreading a false doctrine. It's not about planning to be a parent. It's about planning the murder of the most innocent children. I call it Planned Murderhood for John 8 describes that one of the characteristics of Satan besides lying is murder. Why in March 2018 a Philadelphia man was charged in a double murder as he killed a Mom and her unborn child (7.5 months pregnant). How is it, that's murder but what Planned Murderhood is not? It's part of the hypocrisy and seared conscience that accompanies a doctrine of demons.
Same Sex Marriage
- Wikipedia - Theological view of those who support same-sex unions/marriages
- I marvel in that not one scriptural reference is given. What is offered is opinions that include some truth plus deception such as:
- They say, "It is an affirmative good that stands alongside straight marriage and committed monastic celibacy as a revelation of God's self in the world!" The Bible says in Genesis 1:26 - So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- They say, "Some scholars maintain that scripture in the original languages contains no prohibition of homosexuality, but does record same-sex marriage. "But if we take a closer look, reading the scripture in the original Hebrew and Greek, we discover that God never condemned homosexuality, and that same-sex marriage existed in Bible times." The Bible says in 1 Kings 15:11, 1 Kings 14:24, 1 Kings 22:46, Judges 19:22, Deuteronomy 23:17, Leviticus 18, Leviticus 20, 1 Timothy 1:8, Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6:9.... and the list could go one illustrating that this sexual practice is an abomination.
- Practical wisdom. Abominations destroy society. These acts are listed as an abomination for if practiced, mankind ceases to procreate (Genesis 1:26-27). It will cease to exist.
- Acts 6:23 says the wages of sin is death and the Center for Disease Control in a 2010 study indicated that those involved in an LGBT lifestyle experienced 300% more health challenges and died 20 years earlier than their heterosexual counterparts. Heterosexuals involved in a sexually promiscuous lifestyle with multiple partners also experienced much higher levels of sexually transmitted diseases.
- What is not acknowledged is that God is the designer of mankind. He knows how things work. The Bible is like the manufacturers warranty and operators manual. If operated within design parameters it works beautifully. But when life is operated outside the bounds of design there are bad consequences.
- These denominations have become like the false prophet - Click for list of Christian denominations affirming LGBT
Example of a New Issue - Immigration & Borders
- CNN reports "Pope suggests that Trump "is not a Christian." Excerpt: Pope Francis said Thursday that GOP front-runner Donald Trump "is not Christian" if he calls for the deportation of undocumented immigrants and pledges to build a wall between the United States and Mexico.
- Now remember, a doctrine of demons is marked with hypocrisy and a seared conscience. In other words you'll be blind to your hypocrisy. Now have you ever been to the Vatican in Rome? I have. Guess what's there? A wall! A big wall.... and guards! You can't just go anywhere you want. Click here for a picture of the Vatican Walls.
- The Left (Democrat party) has begun to say they are contending for the family! This is the same party who defends and supports abortion and Planned Parenthood which has ripped over 60+ million children from their mother's womb. This is the same party who is supporting curriculum and policies which undermine God's design for marriage and families.
- I don't think they really care about the children as much as they care about using emotions and partial truths to win sympathy to impact the next election. That's the real motive.
- When people do not follow the law to enter a country they become "illegal aliens." Illegal is.... NOT LEGAL. What's it called when laws are not enforced? Lawlessness. Whose actions are marked by lawlessness? Satan (2 Thessalonians 2:7-9)
- Deuteronomy 19:14 & Proverbs 22:28 tells us not to move our neighbors boundary lines and to honor the ancient boundaries that were set. Boundaries for nations and families are found all through scripture and even heaven has walls around the City of God. Revelation 21:14 - Guess what! There are certain standards that must be met to get in. Jesus says in Matthew 7:23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
- The Old Testament is full of examples of how to treat foreigners with respect to boundaries. There were physical boundaries, moral boundaries, cultural boundaries, financial boundaries etc. An invader was treated one way which included military action. A sojourner was treated another and a resident alien another. The bottom line was, the foreigner had to adapt to the culture of the land they entered. (Deuteronomy 14:21, 15:3, 17:15, 23:20, and 29:22)
- God encouraged kindness and charity towards the foreigner and stranger in both the Old and New Testaments. (Exodus 22:21, 23:9, Matthew 25:35, 38) But note, those were typically handled personally. Not by the government.
- When a nation commits spiritual adultery the consequence is found in Proverbs 5:10 "Lest aliens be filled with your wealth, And your labors go to the house of a foreigner;" and in Deuteronomy 28:43 ... “The alien who is among you shall rise higher and higher above you, and you shall come down lower and lower."
- 2 Chronicles 6:32-33/1 Kings 8:41-42 - when a foreigner adapted to the truth in the OT as expressed by the Jewish culture during King Solomon's reign he could expect for God to hear and answer him when he prayed.
- So to sum it up, kindness, charity and the golden rule is encouraged in dealing with strangers while at the same time boundaries and standards for entry into a country are also honored. It's a combination of mercy and truth.
- Examine the issue through the lens of scripture.
- Judge words and actions by comparing those to scripture.
- See the 7 Keys to Avoid Being Fooled by a Doctrine of Demons