- God's word created the world? - Hebrews 11:3
- Death and life are in the power of your tongue? - Proverbs 18:21
- Mankind is made in God's image? - Genesis 1:26-28
Therefore, our words are used to create our world. You and I have authority over our words. We can decide what to speak and when. Our words can be used for us or against us. It's truly our choice. In fact, our words can employ angels or give demons license to operate.
- Psalm 103:20 says "Bless the Lord, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word."
- Proverbs 12:13 says "The wicked is ensnared by the transgression of his lips ..."
- Proverbs 18:7 says "A fools mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul."
- Proverbs 21:23 says "Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble."
- Psalm 64:8 says "They are brought to ruin, with their own tongues turned against them..."
- Jesus says in Matthew 12:36-37 "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak for by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned.
Words are powerful. They can create and they can destroy. Consider James 3 teaches us that the tongue is a fire and can destroy and defile the whole body. It's words are like poison. James challenges us to control our tongue by speaking words that bless rather than curse.
James 3:13-18 reveal that the kinds of words that invite a curse come from a heart that gives place to bitter envy and self seeking. Verse 15 says "this wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual and demonic."
How can you recognize when the demonic is at work? James 3:16 says "For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."
Our Words Employ Angels or Demons
Which army are your words empowering?
God's word employs angels. Psalm 103:20 says so. So if you adopt God's word and discover what His word says about you and your world, you'll be able to impact your world for His glory and your benefit.
The demonic is empowered to work through any other words. Matthew 8 reveals the devil is a liar and is the father of liars. He is a murderer too. He plays the hypocrite and traffics in confusion, envy and every evil thing.
So be wise, bless and build, do not curse yourself. Proverbs 6 teaches us that if we have ensnared ourselves with the words of our mouth, we can go an un-ensnare ourselves. All it takes is to repent and ask forgiveness (1 John 1:9-2:1) and then to begin to install God's word in our mind and heart. When we do this we can enjoy the benefit of Psalm 1:
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.